Sunday, March 9, 2014

Surf Spots 2 and 3: Tourmaline and Oceanside


I often wonder how people who don’t surf perceive surfing.  What are their thoughts on the people out in the cold water, suited up and dropping into wave after wave?  Do they get excited when they see someone rip? Surfing is a sport but also a feeling.  There is a lifestyle component to it, however, for me at least, it is more related to the emotional side of being in the water then anything else.  When you are out there sitting on your board waiting for the next chance to ride you have a lot of time to think.  The wheels in my head turn at a fever pitch and my thoughts run from God to cleaning my house.  Though with every session I am simply grateful for having the opportunity to participate in something so impressive and commanding, to be at peace with the world and myself. 

The physical side of surfing is the most challenging.  I was in a boot with a torn ligament for 12 weeks.  Those three months I watched people surf as I sat in the bar drinking a beer and getting weak.  My shoulders and arms lost their power to get past the breaks. My belly got soft from the fine selection of craft beers San Diego has to offer.  Paddling out is now major work for me.  On Saturday Paul, two of his friends and I were out at Tourmaline at 6:00 am.  That was after Friday night first visiting my friends new restaurant and having a couple glasses of wine then watching a Led Zeppelin tribute band and rocking until midnight (beers included). The day proved to be exceptional, come 6:30 both Paul and I were commenting on how hot it was in our wetsuits and how awesome that the water temp is getting warmer.  Though I was struggling. Partly because of the night before but also because I had to come to terms with my body not being as strong as it should be.  My thinking time was spent being mad at myself how I couldn’t keep up with all the other surfers.  When I paddled in I was disappointed with myself and vowed to get into better shape and to get out in the waves until I was back. It definitely was drilled in when I stopped of to watch my friend Eli surf in Mission Beach.  He was ripping it and I was stoked to watch him even if it reminding me how much work I have ahead of me to even think about surfing with him. 

Today Paul and I drove up to Camp Pendleton.  The waves were non-existent.  It was low tide, so the potential for rock damage to our boards and fins was pretty high.  We decided to drive down to Oceanside.  We cruised a couple of spots and ended up at the north side pier.  Paddling out I told myself today I was going to catch some waves and make my body work for the gift of waves.  Wave 1,2,3,4,5,6……13, booyah, I kept catching one after another.  Granted I wasn’t shredding but I was feeling good.  Green Pin in the map # 3 was definitely a good day.

The details:
Saturday, March 8, 2014
Name of Spot: Tourmaline
Date / Time: March 8, 2014: 6:00 am
City: Pacific Beach
Board: Kimberli – “Betsie” – 10’, Paul - “Mitchell” 9’

Wave quality
Frequency
Break Type
Bottom
Decent, some glass but on average fair
4 to 6 min
Reef – Rocky - Beach
Sandy w/rocks
Wave Direction
Power
Tide
Swell
Left and Right
Average, decent strength but not overpowering
Low
2 – 4
Wind
Crowd Size
Crowd Type
Dangers
Very light
Medium
Fun, Friendly
Rocks

Sunday, March, 9, 2014
Name of Spot: Oceanside Pier, North Side
Date / Time: March 9, 2014: 10:00 am
City: Oceanside
Board: Kimberli – “Betsie” – 10’, Paul - “Holden” 10’

Wave quality
Frequency
Break Type
Bottom
Choppy but working
3 to 5 min
Sandy - Beach
Sandy
Wave Direction
Power
Tide
Swell
Left and Right, mostly left
Excellent
Med
2 – 4, occasional 5’
Wind
Crowd Size
Crowd Type
Dangers
6 knots, blustery
Low
Decent, friendly
Rip tide at pier

No comments:

Post a Comment